Curried Scallop Cakes
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh sea scallops cut 1/4" pieces
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) (available at Asian markets and in the Asian section of some supermarkets)
- Vegetable oil as needed
Mix first 9 ingredients and 1 1/2 cups panko in large bowl to blend. Cover mixture and refrigerate 1 hour.
Place remaining 2 cups panko on large plate. Form scallop mixture into balls, using 1 heaping tablespoon for each. Coat in panko, flattening slightly.
Heat enough vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat to come 1/4 inch up sides of pan. Working in batches, sauté scallop cakes until golden and cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer scallop cakes to paper towels to drain. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Reheat on baking sheet in 350 degrees oven 8 minutes.) Transfer scallop cakes to platter.
This recipe yields about 40 cakes.