Cayenne Corn Bread Sticks
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk - (or more) room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted, cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese - (lightly packed) abt 4 oz
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush cast-iron corn stick molds with vegetable oil and place in oven.
Mix yellow cornmeal, unbleached flour, dark brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne pepper in large bowl.
Whisk 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, butter and egg in small bowl. Mix into dry ingredients. Stir in grated cheddar cheese. Add more buttermilk if necessary to thin to just pourable consistency.
Fill corn stick molds with batter. Bake corn sticks until tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Using tip of small sharp knife, gently lift corn sticks from molds. Serve warm.
This recipe yields about 14 corn sticks.