Pound Cake with Strawberry Glaze
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 3.4 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- Baking spray with flour
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Dash of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating until incorporated. Stir in vanilla, lemon rind, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level. Combine flours, powder, soda, and salt. Combine sour cream and milk. Add flour mixture and sour cream mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Spoon batter into a 10-cup Bundt pan coated with baking spray. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
5. Combine strawberries and remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 3 minutes or until thick. Strain through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Drizzle glaze over cake.
Variation Double-Chocolate Swirl 1. Prepare base recipe through step 3, decreasing granulated sugar to 1 3/4 cups and omitting rind and juice. Combine 1 teaspoon canola oil and 1 ounce chopped bittersweet chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa. Remove 2 1/2 cups vanilla batter; add to chocolate mixture, and stir. 2. Using 2 ice-cream scoops or 2 large spoons, add batters alternately to a 10-cup Bundt pan coated with baking spray; swirl. 3. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. 4. Combine 2/3 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; stir until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cake. Serves 16 (serving size: 1 slice) CALORIES 311; FAT 12.7g (sat 4.8g); SODIUM 124mg