One-Pot Beef Stew - SLMag
Hands-down the BEST beef stew I've ever had - the mustard and vinegar add a little something extra to this delicious and easy stew
- 1 lb lean stew meat, cut into 3/4" chunks
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium carrots (about 7 oz.), cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 12 ounces baby new potatoes, cutting larger ones in half
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Sprinkle beef with pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add beef to Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add carrots and onions to Dutch oven; cook, stirring often, until carrots and onions start to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add red wine; cook until liquid has almost evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from bottom of Dutch oven.
Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup broth in a small bowl; add to Dutch oven. Stir in beef and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 1/2 cups stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Add potatoes; cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in mustard and vinegar. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon parsley.