Creamed-Mushroom Bruschetta with Caramelized Onions
Takes a little effort but you'll be rewarded with an amazing combination of flavors in these scrumptious Creamed-Mushroom Bruschetta With Caramelized Onions. Bon Appetit!
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 small yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
- CREAMED MUSHROOMS:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds best-quality common mushrooms, ideally cremini or baby bella, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 small shallots, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 pieces rye bread, sliced thick
- Caramelized onions (see above)
- Creamed mushrooms (see above)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
Adapted from nytimes.com
For the caramelized onions:
Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over high heat. Once the pan is hot, add vegetable oil. Once the oil shimmers, add the onions and salt. Do not stir immediately. Wait 1 minute, then begin to stir frequently over high heat for 5 minutes, or until the onions have released liquid and started to become translucent.
Turn the heat down to medium and add Marsala. Cook, stirring often, for what will seem like an eternity, until the onions are fully melted and dark brown, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
For the creamed mushrooms:
Heat a heavy-bottomed pan with high sides over high heat. Once the pan is hot, add vegetable oil. Once the oil shimmers, add butter. When butter foams, add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are golden brown, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium low and, using a wooden spoon, create a well in the middle of the mushrooms. Add thyme, salt, black pepper and shallots; sweat until shallots have cooked through and become translucent, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
Return heat to high and add sherry vinegar to deglaze pan, then add cream and bring to a low boil.6.Check for seasoning. Mushrooms can be reserved until needed, then reheated over a medium flame. Add a splash of extra cream to loosen, if needed.
For the bruschetta:
Grill or toast bread to a light char.
Spread 2 tablespoons caramelized onions over each piece of toast, followed by approximately 1/4 cup of creamed mushrooms.
Garnish with minced chives.
You'll also love
- Lucky Rainbow Chex Mix 4.3/5 (44 Votes)
- One Bowl Apple Cake 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Banana Fritters... 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- POTATO PUFFS 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- EASY PUMPKIN MUFFINS 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut... 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Baked Stuffed Shrimp with Crabmeat... 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms and... 4.4/5 (34 Votes)