Southern Potato Salad
A Southern classic side dish that serves well with any kind of meat and other side dishes. A family BBQ or fish fry would not be complete with it!!
- 2 - 3 lbs. red or russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped (1/4 c.)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 c.)
- 1 green onion, finely sliced (1 - 2 Tbls.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon spicy creole mustard, optional
- 1 cup mayo, or as desired for creaminess (I used Blue Plate)
- Paprika for garnish, optional
Cover the cubed potatoes with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat by 1 or 2 marks and cook (uncovered) until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. (Use a toothpick to check largest cubes) Set aside in a colander to drain and cool somewhat while you chop the celery, onion, and green onion.
Transfer drained potatoes to a mixing bowl; top with the chopped veggies, along with the remaining ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, stir gently to combine, adding a little more mayo if needed for desired consistency.
Transfer salad to a serving bowl and garnish top with paprika and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
((NOTE: If desired, add 4 chopped, hard-boiled eggs to the mixture, adding more mayo as needed to combine. You may need to up the seasonings a bit as well.))