Vegetables In Spicy Cream Sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 10 whole cashews
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 piece cinnamon stick - (1" long)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets - (abt 5 oz)
- 1/2 cup peas (shelled fresh or thawed frozen)
- 1 medium carrot cut julienne
- 6 ounces green beans trimmed, and sliced diagonally - (abt 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Toast cumin and coriander in small skillet over medium-low heat until aromatic, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Heat vegetable oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Transfer to blender. Add cumin and coriander, 1/2 cup half-and-half, cashews and catsup. Blend to consistency of thick cream sauce.
Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and cook until aromatic, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and cook 1 minute. Add all remaining vegetables and stir-fry 3 minutes.
Add water, raisins, salt, cayenne, cream sauce and remianing 1/2 cup half-and-half. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
Discard cinnamon stick. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving.) Garnish with cilantro and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.