Tomato And Spinach Soup
- 2 cans tomatoes - (28 oz ea)
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz) thawed, well drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbspn dried basil, crumbled)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Puree canned tomatoes with juices in processor or blender until smooth.
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute until very tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, sugar and oregano. Simmer 10 minutes.
Mix in cream, spinach and basil and simmer 3 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin soup with milk if desired.
Ladle soup into bowls; pass Parmesan separately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (705 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken ‘n Spinach... 4.5/5 (217 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups 4.6/5 (148 Votes)