- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 leeks halved, sliced
- 2 medium red onions halved, sliced
- 1 medium onion halved, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and onions. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes.
Add stock, vinegar, sugar and cloves. Simmer until liquid is syrupy, stirring constantly, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 6 servings.