- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (or water)
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bag frozen unsweetened rhubarb - (20 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bag frozen unsweetened strawberries - (20 oz)
- Vanilla ice cream (or frozen vanilla yogurt)
- Whipped cream
- Chopped walnuts
Combine 1/2 cup sugar and red wine in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and cinnamon stick. Simmer 10 minutes.
Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and stir to dissolve. Add rhubarb and ground cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until rhubarb is tender, about 8 minutes.
Add strawberries and bring to simmer. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until cold. (Compote can be prepared 3 days ahead.)
Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon stick from compote. Scoop ice cream into sundae dishes or bowls. Spoon compote over. Top each with whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve sundaes immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Rhubarb Dump Cake 4/5 (171 Votes)
- Deep Dish Strawberry Rhubarb Pie... 4.4/5 (57 Votes)
- New England Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)