Penne With Gorgonzola And Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbspn dried basil, crumbled)
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly-grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in chopped tomatoes and basil. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, using spoon, beat butter with Gorgonzola until blended.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Return pasta to pot.
Whisk Gorgonzola mixture into tomato sauce. Add sauce to pasta and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Romano and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.