Oven-roasted Potatoes and Sausage
A simple, meat and taters kinda meal that will satisfy the whole family! Pure comfort food that is made with cubed potatoes, Conecuh smoked sausage, and seasonings oven roasted together.
- 1 (16-ounce) package Conecuh brand Original smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 - 3/4inch cubes (then dried with paper towels)
- 1 small onion, chopped (I omitted)
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Little garlic salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground thyme, optional
- White or yellow sharp cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 65mins
Line a large, shallow baking pan with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, then spray it lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
OPTIONAL Sausage Prep :
To reduce some of the fat from the sausage before baking with the potatoes, here's what I did:
Put the sausage slices in a large skillet and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain sausage in a colander, then blot the excess grease off them with paper towels. Otherwise, proceed as directed.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Put the potatoes (and onions, if using), in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat (can use your hands for this if you like but I just kept stirring with a spatula).
Scatter the (pre-prepped or uncooked) sausage slices on the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Spoon potatoes and onions over the sausage and spread out in a single layer. (I used a strainer spoon so that any excess olive oil would be left in the bowl.) Season lightly with salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, and thyme (No need to stir. They will be flipped over and seasoned again during baking.) (Thyme is a very potent herb, so don't overdo this.)
Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes; then stir, or flip the mixture over with a metal egg turner and season lightly again. Return pan to oven and continue baking until the potatoes are tender and golden brown, 20-30 more minutes. (Can oven broil for a minute or two if they didn't brown enough.)
If topping with cheese, turn off the oven first. Sprinkle desired amount of cheese over the top of sausage and potato mixture, then return to the oven for a few minutes just to melt the cheese.
Serve this Southern comfort food immediately with a side of cold pork & beans and a slice of fresh white bread!
You'll also love
- John Legend's Macaroni and Cheese 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Baked Cheddar-Broccoli Rice Cups 4.6/5 (37 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie -... 4.7/5 (25 Votes)
- Spinach Artichoke Bites 4/5 (87 Votes)
- Warm Artichoke & Bacon Dip 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Pasta & Broccoli Sausage Simmer 4.7/5 (25 Votes)
- Famous KFC Coleslaw Recipe 4.5/5 (83 Votes)
- Ruby Tuesday Apple Salad 4.4/5 (49 Votes)