Cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe
- 4 cups mashed potatoes*
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup flour (or up to 1/2 cup flour for creamier potatoes)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Light Olive oil or Canola oil to sauté
- Sour cream to serve
- Recipe works best with mashed potatoes that aren't super creamy. If they are very moist, you may need a little more flour for them to hold a patty shape. Do not use instant mashed potatoes.
Adapted from natashaskitchen.com
In a large mixing bowl, combine 4 cups mashed potatoes, 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 large egg, ¼ cup flour and 2 Tbsp chopped chives. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture together until well mixed. If the potatoes are too loose to hold a patty shape, add flour a Tablespoon at a time.
Place a heaping tablespoonful of potato mixture between your palms and form into a round, ⅓" thick patty. Dredge both sides of the pancake in bread crumbs and set on a cutting board. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat with enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. Once oil is hot, add patties in a single layer and sauté 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil as needed. I usually have 2 skillets going at once to finish sooner.