Mixed Herring Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 boiling potatoes
- 2 green apples peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup pickled onions chopped
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 jar wine herring snacks - (12 oz) drained
- 1 can whole baby beets - (16 oz) drained, diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs shelled, sliced
Combine first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Place potatoes in large pan. Add cold water to cover. Boil until tender but not mushy. Drain. Cool completely. Peel and dice potatoes. Place potatoes, apples and onions in large bowl. Add enough dressing to season to taste and toss well.
Line large plate with lettuce leaves. Mound salad in center of plate. Arrange herring, beets and eggs around salad. Serve salad, passing remaining dressing separately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.