Manhattan-Style Clam Chowder With Chilies
- 4 bacon slices chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme crumbled
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes - (14 to 16 oz ea)
- 1 bottle clam juice - (8 oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce - (8 oz)
- 1 large russet potato peeled, diced
- 1 can diced green chilies - (4 oz)
- 2 cans chopped clams - (6 1/2 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Fry bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and thyme and cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Add stewed tomatoes with their juices, clam juice, tomato sauce, potato and chilies. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is very tender, about 40 minutes. Add clams with juices and heat through. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.