Butternut Squash Soup from The Lion
A fall dish fromthe downtown NYC eatery that is as famous for its A-list clientele as its souped-up seasonal fare.
- 5 TBL Butter
- 6 Cup Butternut Squash, Cubed
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, cored and chopped (2 Cups)
- 5 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried sage leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg for garnish
1. Melt Butter in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Saute squash and brown sugar stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 15 minutes.
3. Add Apples, water, cider, salt, cinnamon, sage and cloves and bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 30 min. Cool Slightly.
5. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to pan and stir in heavy cream.
6. Divide amoung six bowls and top each with about 1 Tablespoon of sour cream. Dust with Nutmeg.