Italian Meat Loaf
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 slices firm white bread
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 egg beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce - (8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
Grease 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
Place rye and white breads in large bowl. Pour 1 cup water over. Let soak 5 minutes. Drain off any excess water. Mash bread finely with fork. Add ground beef, onion, egg, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well. Transfer to prepared dish. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Chill.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake meat loaf 30 minutes. Pour tomato sauce over. Sprinkle with oregano. Bake 20 more minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.