WW pointsplus = 5
- 1 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 29 oz. canned beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved & thinly sliced
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 t. dryed thyme
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley, quick cooking
- 1/4 cup parsley
Cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, broth and water; add celery and carrot.
Place peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to beef mixture. Stir in thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Return to boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Discard spice bag.