Black Bean Soup with Lime Shrimp-The Chew
- Black Bean Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 14- ounce cans black beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1 14- ounce cans fire-roasted tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Lime Shrimp:
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 limes (zested and juiced)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- pinch Kosher salt
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, and butterflied
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from abc.go.com
For the Black Bean Soup: In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until the onions become tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the black beans to the onion mixture. Use a rubber spatula or potato masher to mash half the beans.
Stir in the tomatoes, heavy cream, and vegetable broth. Let the soup come to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 11 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For the Lime Shrimp: In a large bowl, combine the garlic with the olive oil, lime zest, crushed red pepper, parsley, and a sprinkle of salt. Add the shrimp to this mixture and toss them until they are coated; remove the shrimp.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Flip the shrimp, add the lime juice, and cook for another few minutes, until the shrimp are opaque.
Add the hot sauce to the soup and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top each with 4 shrimp.
Tip: Not a shellfish fan? Substitute your favorite protein, like chicken or steak!
You'll also love
- Patti laBelle's Lemon Bars 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Country Style Pork Ribs Electric... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Strawberry Pie by Lemon Tree... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- APPETIZER - Creamed Salmon on Toast 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Luby's Frosted Lime Congeal 3.7/5 (28 Votes)
- ENGLISH MUFFIN CRAB APPETIZERS 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Joe's Crab Shack Crab Dip 5/5 (1 Votes)
- SHRIMP and CRABMEAT ETOUFFEE 5/5 (1 Votes)