Cream Of Tortilla Soup
- 2 cans chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1/2 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 cups crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese - (abt 4 oz)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (abt 4 oz)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Crushed unsalted tortilla chips for serving
Bring chicken broth to boil in small saucepan over medium heat.
Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon chopped tomato and 2 tablespoon chives for garnish. Add remaining tomato, chives and 1 1/2 cups tortilla chips to saucepan and saute 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over and stir mixture for 2 minutes.
Stir chicken broth into tortilla mixture. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat. Stir in whipping cream. Add grated Jack and cheddar cheese and stir mixture until cheese is melted and well blended. Add chili powder and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Rewarm soup over low heat, stirring frequently.)
Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle each with some of reserved tomato and chives and crushed tortilla chips and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.