Caribbean Chicken And Vegetable Kebabs
- 8 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 2 pounds boned skinned chicken breasts cut 1" pieces
- 1 1/3 pounds boned skinned chicken thighs cut 1" pieces
- 4 red onions cut 1" pieces
- 6 yellow summer squash cut 1/2"-thk rounds
- 4 chayote squash halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4"-thick slices (or 4 zucchini, cut 1/2"-thk rounds)
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 12 bamboo skewers more or less
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Combine garlic, coriander, turmeric, dried mustard, ground cloves, chili powder and aniseed in small bowl. Place chicken in 1 glass baking dish and vegetables in another. Sprinkle each with half of spice mixture. Add half of olive oil and half of fresh lime juice to each and mix to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
Soak skewers in water 30 minutes. Drain. Alternate chicken and vegetables on skewers. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Prepare barbecue (medium heat) or preheat broiler. Season kebabs with salt and pepper. Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to platter.
This recipe yields 12 servings.