Black Bean And Rice Salad
- 2 cans chicken broth - (14 1/2oz ea)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package long-grain rice - (1 lb)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans black beans - (15 oz ea) drained, rinsed
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves for serving
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
Bring chicken broth and water to boil in heavy large saucepan. Add rice and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Transfer rice to large bowl and fluff with fork. Mix in black beans, bell peppers, red onion, chopped cilantro, oil, orange juice, vinegar, cumin and chili powder. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Line platter with lettuce leaves. Mound salad on platter. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs and serve.
This recipe yields 12 servings.