Chicken Breasts with Ham and Cheese
- 1 lb chicken breast, cutlets pounded very thin
- 4 ounces lean boiled ham, sliced thin ( 4 slices)
- 4 ounces lowfat swiss cheese, sliced thin ( 4 slices)
- cooking spray
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- salt and pepper
Cut pounded chicken into 8 thin cutlets. Lay out 4 cutlets; top each with 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese, and then top with a second cutlet.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and saute layered chicken-ham-cheese over medium-high heat, carefully turning once, for 8-10 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
Respray pan and saute mushrooms and shallot over medium-high heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Add wine to deglaze pan, stirring to scrape up any brown bits, until it’s reduced by half.
Add chicken broth and tarragon and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in any chicken juices that have accumulated on plate and add salt and pepper to taste.