Spinach- And Cheese-Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 2 packages frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz ea) thawed
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan - (abt 4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 2 tspns dried basil, crumbled)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 1/2 cups purchased marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 32 jumbo pasta shells freshly cooked
- Additional grated Parmesan
Squeeze spinach dry. Transfer spinach to large bowl. Add ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan, fennel, basil and garlic to bowl. Season mixture with salt and pepper; blend.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon 1/2 cup marinara sauce evenly over bottom of 9- by 13- by 2-inch baking dish. Fill each pasta shell with spinach mixture. Place shells, filling-side up, in dish.
Spoon remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Cover loosely with foil and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.