Spicy Lamb And Peanut Stew
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 3/4 pounds lamb shoulder trimmed, and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 large onions coarsely chopped
- 1 can tomato paste - (6 oz)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock (or canned beef broth)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned style peanut butter (or freshly-ground peanut butter)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 jalapeño or 2 habañero chiles halved, seeded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cooked rice for serving
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add lamb and onions and cook until lamb is brown, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
Mix in tomato paste, bay leaves and cayenne pepper and cook 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef stock and water and bring to boil. Simmer until lamb is tender, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
Stir peanut butter, carrots and jalapeños into stew and cook until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Add peas and cook until heated through. Discard jalapeños. Serve stew over rice.
This recipe yields 8 servings.