Savory Ham & Cheese Muffins
Savory ham and cheese muffins are easy to make and the perfect side to a big bowl of warm soup, or as a breakfast treat.
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 tablespoon soft and 2 tablespoons melted), plus extra for brushing muffins
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar, about 2 ounces, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 pound ham, finely chopped, about 2/3 cup
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from cookingchanneltv.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F and center an oven rack. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with your favorite liners and lightly grease with cooking spray.
Melt the 1 tablespoon of soft butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions once the butter starts to foam and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pepper in a large bowl.
Whisk together the milk, sour cream and eggs in a separate small bowl. Fold in the egg mixture along with the browned onions, the cheeses, ham and thyme into the dry ingredients until just combined (don't fret if there are lumps, this means your batter isn't over-mixed).
Fill each liner about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with thyme leaves and Parmesan, if desired, and bake 10 minutes. Brush each muffin lightly with butter, sprinkle with a little salt and rotate the pan. Continue to bake until the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Let the muffins rest in the hot muffin pan 3 minutes and serve warm, or cool to room temperature on a rack.