Saffron Rice With Chorizo
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/4 pound smoked fully-cooked Spanish chorizo or pepperoni cut diagonally
- into 1/4"-thk slices
- 4 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads - (scant)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Add sausage, broth and saffron and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.