Chicken Pot Pie
Southern comfort food. This chicken pot pie is a meal in itself! It's chocked full of chicken, fresh veggies, and a creamy sauce baked in pastry crusts.
- 3 to 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (can use traditional rotisserie)
- 1 medium red potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup diced carrots (about 2)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs)
- 3/4 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 6 tablespoons margarine (or salted butter)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (I used broth from boiling a chicken)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon, optional
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk (or a mixture)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 4 unbaked pastry pie crusts (homemade or store-bought, I used frozen, thawed)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 85mins
Prep the chicken and veggies and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the margarine; add the potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, and a little salt and pepper and saute for about 10 minutes, or until veggies are just tender, stirring frequently so they don't brown. Stir in the thawed sweet peas. Sprinkle the flour over the veggies; stir well and cook for about 1 more minute to incorporate the flour.
Combine the broth, bouillon (if using), and half-and-half; slowly stir it into the veggie mixture and cook until thickened (it needs to have a fair amount of sauce remaining or it will bake dry). Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the chicken. Cover with a tilted lid and set aside to cool.
Remove the fluted edges from 2 of the pie crusts then, using a rolling pin, roll them together into a rectangle that will cover the bottom and sides of an 11x8" glass baking dish. Line the baking dish with the crust.
Spoon filling into the bottom crust.
Preheat oven to 400° F. Place a sheet of foil on the lower oven rack to catch any possible spill overs.
Repeat the same step above for the remaining 2 pie crusts, with the exception of rolling it out to fit the top of the dish. Carefully place the crust over the filling and seal the edges of the crusts together as desired. Cut 4 slits in the center for steam vents.
Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. (If crust is browning too quickly, tent a sheet of foil over the top of dish).
Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
FOLLOW me at the link below for more recipes or use the SHARE link to save this one on your page. https://www.facebook.com/diane.p.vasseur
You'll also love
- Easy Homemade Breakfast Sausage 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Peach Pound Cake with Cream Cheese... 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Pecan Bars 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil (Puerto... 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Angel Chicken Pasta 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Italian Turkey & Orzo Soup 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Turkey & Dressing Sandwiches 4.1/5 (29 Votes)