Fried knoephla with sausage, potatoes, & kraut
- knoephla dough:
- 1 lb of sausage or bacon cooked with a small white onion and grease until browned, save grease.
- 4 c self rising flour (or ap flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt)
- 2 eggs
- 1 c warm water
- 1 c whole milk
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- bacon or sausage grease (lard or vegetable oil)
- 22 ounces sauerkraut, drained
Beat eggs and liquids in a medium size mixing bowl. Add in half flour mixture and mix well. Knead the dough, adding more flour until the dough in stiff and hard to work with, let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Bring a pot of well salted water to boil. Add in potatoes and cook just until tender. Remove from water using slotted spoon and drain colander, leaving boiling water simmering.
Take parts of dough and roll in palms to make a 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide cylinder. While potatoes cool use scissors to cut dough in 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces into the boiling water. The dumplings will sit on the bottom of the pot until almost done. When almost finished cooking, the knoephla will rise to the surface. Once they have risen to the surface let them cook 1-2 minutes longer. Drain well.
Place grease and/or butter in a large skillet and heat over medium to high heat. Add cooked potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Fry until potatoes are golden brown.
While potatoes are frying, place grease/butter in a non-stick skillet, heat over high heat. Cook the kneophla in batches, until browned, transferring the fried dumplings into the skillet with the potatoes.
When all of the knoephla and potatoes are nicely browned and combined in one skillet, add the sauerkraut to the mixture and heat through. Serve immediately
You'll also love
- Stuffed grilled Pork with bourbon... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Slab Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Freezer Slow Cooker Sausage... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach and Cheese Crostini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Watkins potato salad seasoning 4.7/5 (3 Votes)