Rustic, open-faced pie with fresh, juicy strawberries shining in the center of a buttery, homemade crust! Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter, cut into cubes, 1 stick
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 pounds fresh, ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water, for brushing crust
- Coarse white sugar, for crust
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 85mins
Prepare the dough:
In a food processor and using the metal blade, add flour and sugar and pulse 2 or 3 times to combine. Add cubed butter and pulse 8 to 10 times until crumbs form. Remove the top and drizzle 3 tablespoons ice water over the flour mixture, then put top back on and pulse 10 to 12 times, or until the dough holds together. If it crumbles, add more ice water, a teaspoon at a time, and pulse until the dough holds together.
Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) and pat into a disk then wrap up tightly in the plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator about 30 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then set aside. (I used an upside-down pizza pan that had holes in the bottom.)
Prepare the strawberry filling:
In a large bowl combine the hulled and sliced strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. If the strawberries are tart, you may want to add a bit more sugar. Set aside.
Lightly flour a work surface, then roll out dough into a 14" round with a rolling pin. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet. Using a strainer spoon (you won't use the macerated juices), spoon the strawberry mixture in the center of the dough then spread out to 3” from the edge. Fold the edges of the dough up and over the strawberry mixture, leaving the center of the galette exposed.
Brush the dough with the egg wash then sprinkle edges with coarse sugar. Refrigerate the galette for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400º F.
Bake the galette on center rack of oven for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Cool galette completely on a wire cooling rack.
Serve room temperature or chilled with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
You'll also love
- Crab Boil 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Bean Dip 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Banana Bread Bottom Cheesecake 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Deconstructed Lemon Pie 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Mama's Old Fashioned Stuffing 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- CRANBERRY ORANGE CAKE 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Easter Peep S'mores 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Snickers Chocolate Chip Skillet... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)