Macadamia Lime Pie
- 1 jar roasted macadamia nuts - (3 1/2 oz) rinsed, dried
- 1 cup fine vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (abt 26 cookies)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick) melted
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice plus
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk - (14 oz)
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream whipped stiff peaks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place nuts on cookie sheet and toast until golden brown, stirring several times and watching carefully, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool completely. Maintain oven temperature.
Grind 1/2 cup macadamia nuts in processor. Transfer nuts to medium bowl. Add cookie crumbs, sugar and butter and mix. Press mixture into 9-inch pie pan. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool.
Place 2 tablespoons lime juice in small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over and let stand until softened, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and condensed milk in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup lime juice. Stir over medium heat 6 minutes to cook eggs (do not boil). Add softened gelatin and lime peel and stir until gelatin dissolves. Pour filling into prepared crust and refrigerate until filling is set, about 6 hours or overnight.
Spread whipped cream decoratively over pie. Chop remaining macadamia nuts and sprinkle over cream. Cut into wedges and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.