Potato & Cheddar Soup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups red potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Red and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Measure 1 cup, adding water if necessary.
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender but not brown. Add flour; season with red and black pepper. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
Gradually add potatoes, reserved liquid, milk, and sugar to onion mixture; stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.