Garlicky Eggplant Salad
- 2 large eggplants - (abt 2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 large garlic cloves slivered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 2 tspns dried oregano, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Red leaf lettuce for serving
- 4 tomatoes sliced
- Pita bread for serving
- Chopped fresh oregano for garnish
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut slits in eggplants with tip of knife and insert garlic sliver into each slit. Place eggplants in baking pan and bake until very tender, about 1 hour. Cut each eggplant in half and cool slightly.
Scrape eggplant pulp from skin into colander and let drain. Transfer eggplant to processor. Add oil, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oregano and cumin. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Line platter with lettuce. Halve tomato slices and arrange around edge of platter. Cut pita into wedges and arrange around platter. Mound eggplant mixture in center. Sprinkle with oregano.
This recipe yields 8 servings.