Frozen Chocolate Mousse Truffles
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. amaretto liqueur
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, grated
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl till thick. Bring cream to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot cream into egg yolk mixture. return mixture to same saucepan and stir over medium low heat until custard thickens and coats spoon, about 3 minutes( DO NOT BOIL), Remove from heat. Add chocolate to hot custard, stir until melted and smooth, mix in amaretto. Cover and freeze until firm enough to shape at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
2. Using 1 tablespoonful mixture per truffle, shape mixture into balls; roll some in almonds and some in chocolate. Arrange in a single layer in waxed paper lined container. Freeze up to one month.
3. Serve Frozen