- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bacon slices - (abt 5 oz) finely chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 can peeled Italian plum tomatoes - (28 oz) chopped, and juices reserved
- 2 teaspoons dried basil crumbled
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fusilli or penne pasta freshly cooked
- Grated Parmesan
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion and cook until bacon is almost crisp and onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add wine, stir and continue cooking 2 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes with their juices and dried basil and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer sauce, uncovered, until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Season sauce to taste with cayenne and black peppers.
Place pasta in bowl. Add sauce and toss thoroughly. Serve pasta hot, passing grated Parmesan cheese separately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.