Potato, Squash, & Goat Cheese Gratin
This is an easy, rustic recipe that makes a great vegetarian meal or a pretty side dish for summer or autumn. It's so simple: Yellow squash layered in a jumble with sliced red potato and goat cheese. No cream needed at all.
- 2 medium yellow squash, about 1/2 pound
- 4 small to medium red potatoes, about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon basil or thyme leaves, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Use a mandoline or chef's knife to slice the squash and potatoes into very, very thin slices, 1/8-inch or less. Toss the sliced vegetables with the 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl.
Place 1/3 of the squash and potato slices in the bottom of the dish, no need to layer them squash-potato-squash; just spread evenly, then season with salt and pepper. Top with half of the goat cheese, scattered evenly in large chunks. Repeat with another 1/3 of the vegetables, seasoning again with salt and pepper and topping with the other 1/2 of the goat cheese. Finish by layering on the final 1/3 of the vegetables and seasoning with salt and pepper.
Pour the milk over the entire dish. Top with the parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake 15 more minutes, until the top browns. Scatter on the fresh basil, if using.
You'll also love
- Balsamic Green Beans 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Irish Creme 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Bite Size Pumpkin Funnel Cake... 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Breakfast Egg Omelette Muffins 4.6/5 (38 Votes)
- Stupid Easy Chicken 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- Christmas Present Cheese Appetizer 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Red Curry Shrimp Dumplings 4.8/5 (27 Votes)