Fresh Fruit Tart With Boysenberry Cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 basket fresh boysenberries - (1/2 pint) (or 1 1/3 cup frozen unsweetened boysenberries, thawed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut small pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (yellow part only)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 basket strawberries - (1 pint) stemmed, halved
- 1 basket fresh raspberries - (1/2 pint)
- 1 basket fresh boysenberries - (1/2 pint) (or blackberries)
- 1 large peach cut 1/2"-wide slices
- 5 tablespoons currant jelly
For Filling: Beat egg and yolks in small bowl to blend. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice in small bowl. Mix into eggs.
Puree berries and sugar in blender. Strain puree through a fine sieve into medium saucepan. Add butter and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk hot berry mixture into egg mixture. Return mixture to same saucepan and cook until filling is very thick and boils, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes.
Transfer filling to small bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface to prevent skin from forming; refrigerate at least 6 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
For Crust: Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor. Add butter and lemon peel and process using on/off turns until coarse meal forms. Add lemon juice and process until moist clumps form. Gather into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate 45 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Let soften slightly at room temperature before continuing.)
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch-thick round. Fold dough over rolling pin and transfer to 9- by 1-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Gently press dough into pan. Trim and finish edges. Chill 15 minutes.
Line dough with foil and fill with dry beans or pie weights. Bake 15 minutes. Remove beans and foil and bake until crust is golden, about 20 minutes longer. Transfer crust to rack and cool.
Spread filling evenly in crust. Arrange strawberries, cut-side down, in irregular pattern on filling. Fill in with raspberries and boysenberries. Tuck peach slices between berries. Stir currant jelly in heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted. Brush jelly over fruit to glaze. (Can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Refrigerate.)
This recipe yields 8 servings.