- 1/4 cup purchased chocolate syrup
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 1 package cream cheese - (8 oz) room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- CHOCOLATE BATTER:
- 1 cup unsalted butter - (2 sticks) room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped, (or chocolate chips)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For Filling: Combine syrup and 2 ounces chopped chocolate in heavy small saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate melts; cool. Beat cream cheese and egg in medium bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture. Blend in 1/4 cup chocolate chips and flour. Set aside.
For Chocolate Batter: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9-inch square baking pan with 2-inch-high sides. Line bottom with waxed paper. Butter waxed paper.
Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder into medium bowl. Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture.
Spoon half of chocolate batter into prepared pan. Top with filling. Spread remaining batter over. Bake brownies until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer to rack. Cool 5 minutes. Run small sharp knife around edges of pan to loosen. Cool completely in pan.
For Glaze: Melt 6 ounces chocolate with oil in heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
Cut cooled brownies into 16 (2-inch) squares. Transfer to rack. Spoon warm glaze over brownies. Let stand until glaze sets. Arrange brownies on platter.
This recipe yields 16 brownies.