Red Cabbage Salad with Warm Pancetta-Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (from about 1/2 medium head)
- 1 3-ounce package thinly sliced pancetta (Italian bacon), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Place currants in small bowl.
Heat vinegar in saucepan over medium heat until hot (do not boil).
Pour vinegar over currants; let soak until currants soften, 15 to 20 minutes.
Place cabbage in large bowl; set aside.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add pancetta; sauté until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Add shallot to pancetta and drippings in skillet; sauté 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
Stir in currant-vinegar mixture and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Pour pancetta mixture over cabbage and toss to coat.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Add almonds and parsley; toss to blend.
You'll also love
- APPLESAUCE COOKIES 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Jamie Eason's Turkey Meatloaf... 4/5 (17 Votes)
- CrockPot: Pork: Pineapple CrockPot... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Paleo Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Bake 4.1/5 (27 Votes)
- California Pizza Kitchen Spinach... 3.9/5 (48 Votes)
- Cabbage, Cucumber & Fennel Salad... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Purple Cabbage Salad 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Red Cabbage, Carrot & Mint Salad 4/5 (8 Votes)