Stuffed Pepper Casserole (Edited)
The original recipe was a bit on the dry side so I added some ingredients that go well with this recipe.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (8.8-ounce) pouches Uncle Ben's Ready Rice brown rice
- 1 1/2 (23.25-ounce) jar Prego Light Smart Traditional pasta sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat four-cheese Italian blend (I like Sargento®)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, bell peppers, onion, and garlic until the vegetables soften and the beef is no longer pink, 10 to 12 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the beef as it cooks. Drain any excess fat and return the skillet to the stovetop, turning the heat down to low.
Microwave the rice according to package directions.
Add the cooked rice, pasta sauce, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to the beef in the skillet and mix well. Transfer the skillet ingredients to the prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle the Italian cheese on top of the casserole.
Bake uncovered until the cheese is melted, 18-20 minutes.