Barley And Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes drained, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 6 cans beef broth - (14 1/2 oz ea) more or less
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Heat oil in heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add next 6 ingredients. Cook until bell pepper just softens, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes.
Mix in 5 cans broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring mixture to boil. Stir in barley and lentils. Reduce heat and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours.
Thin soup to desired consistency with remaining broth. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with parsley if desired.
This recipe yields 8 servings.