A great source of fiber.
This recipe makes a large portion, the batter will keep up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups All Bran cereal
- 3 large Shredded Wheat biscuits(crumbled up)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- fresh blue berries or raspberries
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
Pour boiling water over cereal and toss to soften; set aside to cool.
2. Cream shortening, sugar and beaten eggs.
3. Sift tohether flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. gradually add the sifted flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed mixture till all is incorporated.
5. Add the cereal the the batter and mix well; stir in the dried cranberries.
6. Put muffin cups into a cup cake tin, place 4 to 5 fresh blueberries or raspberries in the bottom of each cup. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full with the batter.
7. Place the muffins in the oven on the middle rack and bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with soft honey butter.