Vegetarian Cobb Salad
A classic cobb salad made meatless with chickpea bacon and walnuts! Filled with crisp greens, cherry tomatoes, avocado and hard-boiled eggs.
- For the chickpeas:
- 1 1/2teaspoons1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3tablespoons3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3tablespoons3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1(15 ounce) can1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- For the dressing:
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon honey
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1clove1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon salt
- PinchPinch of pepper
- 1/4cup1/4 cup olive oil
- For the salad:
- 4cups4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4cups4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 44 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1pint1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1medium1 medium avocado, pitted and cubed
- 1/2cup1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2cup1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons minced fresh chives (or green onion)
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
For the chickpeas:
In a small bowl, whisk together the liquid smoke, maple syrup, vinegar, soy sauce and olive oil until well combined. Add in the chickpeas and toss to coat. Let the chickpeas marinate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Drain off the marinade and spread the chickpeas evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until charred and slightly crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool directly on the baking sheet (they’ll crisp up more during this time).
For the dressing:
Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a small bowl. Whisk vigorously until combined.
For the salad:
Add some of the romaine and spinach to a serving plate. Top with some of the chickpeas, eggs, tomatoes, avocado, feta, walnuts, chives and parsley (in rows if desired). Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing and serve immediately.
Prep time includes 30 minutes for the chickpeas to marinate. Active time is only 15 minutes.