- GINGER-LIME SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup strained fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pieces crystallized ginger
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- Vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups diced peeled tropical fruit (such as papaya and/or mango, pineapple)
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
For Ginger-Lime Sauce: Combine first 6 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugars dissolve. Boil gently until reduced to 1 cup, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Discard ginger pieces and add minced ginger. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature. Reheat to lukewarm, whisking occasionally, before serving.)
For Sundaes: Scoop ice cream into balloon glasses or sundae dishes. Spoon lukewarm sauce over. Top with fruit. Sprinkle with coconut and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.