Stuffed Game Hens With Raspberry Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Cornish game hens - (1 1/2 lbs ea)
- 2 cups cooked packaged long-grain and wild rice (half of uncooked 6.25-ounce package)
- 1/4 cup butter plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 package frozen whole unsweetened raspberries (10 oz), thawed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine pepper and garlic powder in bowl. Pat hens dry inside and out. Season cavities with half of pepper mixture. Fill cavities with rice. Close cavities using skewers. Tuck wing tips under.
Place hens in roasting pan. Melt butter with honey in small saucepan. Brush over hens. Sprinkle with remaining pepper mixture. Bake hens until juices run clear when thighs are pierced in thickest part, turning and basting frequently with honey-butter mixture, 35 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine remaining 4 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until sauce thickens, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Sieve sauce to remove seeds if desired.
Transfer hens to cutting board. Cut each in half. Transfer hens with stuffing to plates. Spoon sauce over.
This recipe yields 4 servings.