Cheesy Baked Zucchini Noodle Casserole
- 3 lbs zucchini (about 5 to 6 good sized zucchini, enough for 8-10 cups of salted zucchini noodles)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz Italian sausage (in bulk)
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesean cheese
1. Spiralize the zucchini, toss with salt, let drain.
2. Lightly brown the sausage. Discard all but 1 Tbsp of rendered fat.
3. In the same pan, add the chopped onion. Cook until softened and lightly colored, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more.
4. Add the canned crushed tomatoes and cooked sausage to the pot with the onions. Bring to a simmer and lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook for 5-6 additional minutes. Stir in thinly sliced basil and 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
5. Squeeze moisture out of zoodles.
6. Add zoodles to the pot with the tomato sausage sauce. Gently stir to combine so that all the noodles are coated with sauce.
7. Transfer into an oiled 8X13 casserole dish and spread into an even layer.
8. Arrange the ricotta in clumps on the casserole. Mix the grated mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese together and sprinkle over the top in an even layer.
9. Bake at 350F, uncovered, for 35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.