Marbled Chocolate Brownies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon softened butter for greasing the baking dish
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (see Cook's Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-9-inch baking dish with the softened butter and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the 2 sticks butter and the chocolate together, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder, granulated sugar, salt, 1 cup of the flour and 5 of the eggs. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, the remaining 1/4 cup flour and the remaining egg. Mix until smooth. Dollop the cream cheese mixture over the brownie batter. With a butter knife or fork, swirl the mixtures together to form a design.
Bake until the brownies just slightly pull away from the sides of the baking dish, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Slice into 9 squares and serve.