Vegan Chocolate Coconut Almond Bars
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch salt
- coconut filling:
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread
- 1/3 cup roasted/salted almonds
1. In a sauté pan, add the coconut to dry pan. Toast and stir around over high heat for a minute.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add in maple syrup, sugar, vegan butter. Stir around to melt butter.
3. Add in the coconut milk and continue stirring until coconut browns a bit and absorbs all the liquid. Do a taste test and add another splash of maple syrup if you like a sweeter filling. Turn off heat and set aside.
4. Line a baking pan with wax paper. I used a dish about 4" x 8".
5. Add all chocolate ingredients to mug. Microwave for 25 seconds. Remove mug and stir briskly until all the chips melt. Heat for another few seconds if needed. You can also use a double broiler if you'd prefer.
6. Spread a very thin layer of chocolate on bottom of wax paper. Then
add the coconut and spread to about a 3/4" thick layer. Dot in the almonds. Spread a thicker layer of chocolate - carefully so you do not disturb the coconut. Swirl to smooth.
7. Spray a butter knife with oil and slice the filling into bars - this will make them easier to slice out of the freezer.
8. Freeze for about 20-30 minutes - or overnight.