Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Energy Bites or Bars
- Chocolate-Maca Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds/pepitas
- 1/4 cup organic raisins (or do half raisins and half goji berries)
- 1/2 cup Raw Walnuts
- 1 Tbsp organic coconut oil (refined or unrefined works)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp brown rice syrup
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract or use raw vanilla bean seeds
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp maca powder
1. Add your seeds and nuts to a food processor or Vitamix. Process until smooth - with a few chunky bits as well. I like a mix of fine nut/seed meal with chunky bits too.
2. Add the raisins to the mixture and blend for a few more seconds so that the raisins are roughly chopped.
3. Add the nut mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Warm the almond butter, brown rice syrup and coconut oil until it is in a thick liquid state (a few seconds in the microwave will do this). If you want your bars raw, you can allow the ingredients to naturally come to room temperature until soft enough to stir together.
4. Fold the almond/coconut mixture in with the nut mixture. Add the spices and vanilla too. Fold until well combined.
5. Place the mixture in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up just a bit.
6. Melt your chocolate in the microwave
7. Start rolling balls or forming your bars by hand. Dip them in chocolate and lay them on a lightly greased piece or parchment or wax paper. Drizzle chocolate over top as desired.
8. place in the freezer. The bites should be firmed up in just about ten minutes. Store in your fridge or freezer. These will stay delicious for a good month in your freezer since they are high in healthy fats from the nuts and high-fat foods usually freeze quite well.