- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 4 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup milk more or less
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Additional sour cream for serving
Combine potatoes and broth in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly.
Puree potato mixture in batches in blender or processor. Return soup to saucepan. Stir in enough milk to thin to desired consistency. Mix in butter and chives. Bring to simmer.
Remove from heat and mix in 1/3 cup sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing additional sour cream separately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.